Monday, March 28, 2011

Mr. Monster by Dan Wells (and a dash of Dexter)

6 out of 10: John Wayne Cleaver thinks his life is settling back down after getting rid of the demon of Clayton County. He's back to following his rules. Except for one- he decides to let himself give in to one of his tendencies, because it's harder to control Mr. Monster (what he calls his inner demon) now that he has been let loose once before. He's even attempting a social life. And then killings start happening again. Another demon is in town, trying to lure him.

Mr. Monster is a solid book. The basic plot is similar to I Am Not A Serial Killer, but it is definitely different enough. The heart of the story is the same- John's ongoing struggle to tame his inner demon in the midst of other demons.

I Am Not A Serial Killer didn't have a big, exciting ending, but Mr. Monster did. I cannot wait to read the last book in this trilogy and see how it ends.

Note: I also just finished listening to Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. Really similar stories. Good guys with serial killer tendencies killing other demons/serial killers. I know I'm going to keep listening to the Dexter series at work, and I'll probably check out the TV series on Netflix.

2 comments:

  1. I happened to read the 1st book at the same time I started watching the Dexter series too. Kind of random, but very similar. I'm not sure if I'm interested in reading the 2nd book, I'll have to ask you more about it at book club. The 'demon' aspect of it kind of threw me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "I am not a serial killer" a while ago and LOVED it until the demon part. It totally threw me. I still liked it and recommend it to bunches of people but haven't run off to grab the next two yet.

    ReplyDelete