Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

I took this book on vacation with me, and it was a perfect beach read. Perfect. I had been avoiding this book, since I'm not the biggest fan of "chick lit," but then I saw a preview for the movie. I like the actors in the movie, especially John Krasinski, and it looked really cute. I decided to read the book before I saw the movie and I'm glad I did.

Back to the book, shall we? This is a really strong debut book about friendship, love and when you can't have both. There is language, and sex, so be warned, but it isn't gratuitous at all.

Something Borrowed, and its companion/sequel Something Blue, tell the story of two lifelong friends, Rachel and Darcy. Rachel is a good girl and the quiet one, while Darcy is the life of the party who always gets her way. At least until Rachel sleeps with her fiance. (I know, I don't usually like adultery in books or movies, but it has its purpose here.) All of the characters are flawed, so your sympathies change. Rachel is pathetic for not going for the guy when she had the chance, but Darcy wasn't really a good friend to begin with. I love where the story goes after the betrayal.

Seriously, this book is the perfect summer read. Watch for my review of Something Blue tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment