Monday, February 7, 2011

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

6.5 out of 10: I only picked The Eternal Ones up because the author, Kirsten Miller, will be at the Breathless Reads tour I'm attending this coming weekend, but I ended up enjoying it.

From Goodreads: Haven Moore can't control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother's house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was. In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.

I'm a sucker for a love story, and that is the main reason I enjoyed this read. I did find it unique though, in that many of the popular YA romances are set in the paranormal world. This is set in our world, with the added twist of reincarnation and secret societies.

My only complaints are these: some of the plots twists were predictable, and the book got repetitive at times. Haven wavers in her decisions as she receives new information throughout the book, and that is fine. It moves the plot along and all that jazz. I think the subplot with Constance's modern day relative could have been taken out... but maybe it will come up again in the next book.

Yes, the next book. I didn't know until I got to the end, but it is obvious this is not a stand-alone book. It could have been. I don't know how I feel about that. I'll read the next book. It just seems like it's this new YA trend to do everything in trilogies. That's not a complaint on this book specifically, but in YA fiction as a whole.

Really, though, it comes back to me loving a good love story. I'm excited to read more of Haven/Constance's and Iain/Ethan's story.

P.S. I just realized Kirsten Miller is the author of another book that I have been meaning to read for a long time- Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City. I own it too, so I plan on reading and reviewing it very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment