Thursday, February 3, 2011

Harry Potter Film Wizardry by Brian Sibley


7 out of 10: If you truly consider yourself to be a Harry Potter nerd, you will love Harry Potter Film Wizardry as I did. Before I even finished reading it, I told Adam I want it for my birthday. It's like the most awesome and nerdy coffee table book ever.

Anyways... this book had so many interesting tidbits and pictures. I'd like to share some of the awesomeness with you, but just a little bit. One, I don't want to take away from your experience when you read it. Two, it would take too long.

I think movie-goers forget how much work really goes into a movie. I know I do. And that task was just that much harder when that movie is Harry Potter, a story with a huge fan base and a wonderful imaginary world. It was really interesting to read about how much work they put into the sets and the costumes. For example, they had two different Hagrids. The actor that played him, and then a former British rugby player for the "large scale" of the character. That means they had to do the same thing for props and costumes on the sets. Everything in his hut had to be duplicated in two sizes.

My favorite story in the book was this:

While getting to know Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban director Alfonso Cuaron asked the three actors to write essays about their characters. He was amazed to find that they responded to the task very much in the way that their respective characters would- Dan wrote a couple of pages, while Emma's essay was very long and very thorough. Perhaps the most in character, however, was Rupert's response: he forgot to do it.

Isn't that classic? If you love Harry Potter, check this book out. You won't regret it.

P.S. Guess what else I learned? Tom Felton, who plays Draco Malfoy, originally auditioned for both Harry and Ron before he was cast as Draco. Weird, I tell you.


P.P.S. This is just one of the amazing interactive features of this book. It's the product catalogue for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

No comments:

Post a Comment