Monday, February 28, 2011

Top Ten Books I Just HAD to Buy...But Are Still Sitting on My Bookshelf


Lies My Teacher Told To Me by James W. Loewen- This was recommended by a blog friend who has similar reading taste (YF and non-fiction). I know high school History classes get it wrong, and I want to be informed.

The Wonder of Boys by Michael Gurian- I picked this up at the D.I. I really want to make sure I'm the best parent I can be for my boy.

The Wilderness World of John Muir edited by Edwin Way Teale- I picked this up on vacation at the Muir Woods in Northern California. This was in 2006... don't know if I will ever get to it but I still think John Muir is fascinating.

Spook and Bonk by Mary Roach- I loved her first book, Stiff. She's a great non-fiction writer and made cadavers super interesting (weird, I know) but I just haven't gotten to these two yet. They are about the science of the afterlife and the science of sex, respectively.

Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver- I love her writing and have had good things about this one as well, but I just haven't read it yet. I picked it up at the D.I.

Telegram!: Modern History as Told Through More than 400 Witty, Poignant, and Revealing Telegrams by Linda Rosenkrantz- Another history book. I really enjoy reading about history, though I wouldn't call myself a history buff because I suck at remembering dates and exact details.

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi- True story about women fighting against literary censorship? Sounds great, and I still really want to read it. I bought it at a yard sale, which is another great place to find books.

When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present by Gail Collins- This is another one I WILL read someday. I enjoy reading about the history of feminism.

A Room Of One's Own by Virginia Woolf- Loved Mrs. Dalloway, thought Orlando was decent, but wasn't enjoying this one when I first tried to read it. I'm still going to keep it around to try again someday.

Meme from The Broke and the Bookish

10 comments:

  1. Being a librarian, Im sad to admit that Ive only heard of maybe one or two of these books LOL.
    Im a new follower
    www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Reading Lolita. I made me feel so much hope for the world. I'm off to add When Everything Changed to my wishlist. Thank you!

    Here is my Top Ten: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-books-i-just-had-to-buybut-are.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list--I tried Virginia Woolf last year for the first time. I liked excerpts but as a whole it was a little too , too, . . . I can't think of a word. I'm not likely to try another. (Although I did read two, Mrs. Dalloway and To the Lighthouse.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Mrs. Dalloway and Orlando, but A Room Of One's Own was tough for me. It's been so many years since I read it, I'm not actually sure if I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good variety in your list. I like Mary Roach too. I have Bonk sitting around somewhere.

    Check out my list here: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like quite a few nonfiction on the list. I know those are some of my least favorite to read so I probably would procrastinate on them too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got some great feminist titles on here! Enjoy Prodigal Summer. I know a lot of people think that The Poisonwood Bible is her best work, but I like Prodigal Summer a lot better, at least as a story if not as a literary feat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prodigal Summer is one of the only books I couldn't finish... so...I'd say don't rush for that one! :) (and I've loved her other books too)

    ReplyDelete